Created for North Carolina individuals who are entering college or continuing education and have participated in an equestrian activity.
Norah Morris Memorial Scholarship
The North Carolina Community Foundation is pleased to announce the establishment of the Norah Morris Scholarship Fund. The Fund was established in 2006 in memory of Norah Morris by the North Carolina Hunter and Jumper Association to honor Norah and the Morris family's commitment to the NCHJA and to higher education. Norah tragically lost her life in a traffic accident in May 2005 while attending an NCHJA sanctioned horse show. She was the youngest of three daughters of Art and Cynthia Morris. Her older sisters, Meghan and Therice were active members in the NCHJA and the family was regularly seen at ringside providing support.
Criteria for applying for this scholarship are:
- Applicants should be pursuing an undergraduate degree. This degree is not necessarily a horse studies or horse related degree.
- Application for this scholarship is not limited to incoming freshmen.
- Recipients of the Norah Morris Scholarship are encouraged to participate in IHSA program or to continue to horse show independently in USEF/NCHJA shows to stay actively involved in the sport.
- The Norah Morris Scholarship will be awarded to an outstanding candidate who has demonstrated an ability to successfully balance academic goals with equestrian activities and community involvement.
- Applicants/recipients are invited to apply or reapply on an annual basis.
- Applicants should submit a letter of recommendation from their trainer, coach or other non family member who is familiar with their horse related activities.