Created for North Carolina individuals who are entering college or continuing education and have participated in an equestrian activity.
Norah Morris Memorial Scholarship
The North Carolina Community Foundation is pleased to announce the establishment of the Norah Morris Scholarship Fund. The Fund was established in 2006 in memory of Norah Morris by the North Carolina Hunter and Jumper Association to honor Norah and the Morris family's commitment to the NCHJA and to higher education. Norah tragically lost her life in a traffic accident in May 2005 while attending an NCHJA sanctioned horse show. She was the youngest of three daughters of Art and Cynthia Morris. Her older sisters, Meghan and Therice were active members in the NCHJA and the family was regularly seen at ringside providing support.
Criteria for applying for this scholarship are:
- Applicants should be pursuing an undergraduate degree. This degree is not necessarily a horse studies or horse related degree.
- Application for this scholarship is not limited to incoming freshmen.
- Recipients of the Norah Morris Scholarship are encouraged to participate in IHSA program or to continue to horse show independently in USEF/NCHJA shows to stay actively involved in the sport.
- The Norah Morris Scholarship will be awarded to an outstanding candidate who has demonstrated an ability to successfully balance academic goals with equestrian activities and community involvement.
- Applicants/recipients are invited to apply or reapply on an annual basis.
- Applicants should submit a letter of recommendation from their trainer, coach or other non family member who is familiar with their horse related activities.
2016 Nora Morris Memorial Scholarship
The NCHJA is proud to announce the 2016 recipients of the Norah Morris Memorial Scholarship. The scholarship fund, managed by the North Carolina Community Foundation, was established by the NCHJA in 2006 to honor Norah and her family's commitments to equestrian activities and higher education. Remembering Norah Morris, we thank and congratulate all 17 of our 2016 Norah Morris Scholarship applicants — all deserving young people!! We are proud to award the 2016 Norah Morris Scholarships to Katie Fritz and Emily Callicutt.
Kathleen 'Katie' Fritz of Waxhaw, NC is the recipient of the $1000 Norah Morris Scholarship. Katie has show extensively as a NCHJA member and has competed in the NCHJA Children's Medal Finals and the EJ Haun Finals. Katie and is on her way to Baylor, with a major in Pre-Health & Medical Studies, where she will ride on the Baylor NCAA Equestrian Team. In Katie's words, "Horses will always be a part of my life. They say that if you can create your passion into a career, you will never work a day in your life. I hope that is the case with me."
Emily Callicutt of Biscoe, NC is the recipient of the $500 Norah Morris Scholarship. Emily has been involved extensively with horses, showing with her Equestrian Team and 4-H Club and 'not afraid to get her hands dirty'. Emily is on her way to NC State University, with a major in Biology & Veterinarian Studies. In Emily's words, "Horses have become such an instrumental part of my life that I feel, without them, I would not be the person I am today. Horses have helped me build confidence and responsibility as well as a strong work ethic."
Congratulations to Katie Fritz and Emily Callicutt!!
Norah Morris Scholarship Endowment